Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 and Easy Peasy 1.1

So a week ago I got sick of linux4one (which I admit has potential) and decided to give Easy Peasy 1.1 a try. I installed it to a USB disk, and it worked perfectly well, I installed it to the Acer Aspire One and there were problems with the wireless, which instantly made it useless. Other than that it wasn't a bad distro, I hated the color scheme and logo and name of it, but otherwise it worked aside from the wireless (something with the wireless radio was showing up in dmesg)

Fortunately, Ubuntu Netbook Remix based on Jaunty 9.04 was just released and it presumably was tested on an acer aspire one. Well, I'm using it right now and it works pretty well. The only two problems are that when the lid closes, the thing freezes up on me, even if I disable acpid and apmd (and I've turned everything off in the power management settings area) which is quite annoying, as sometimes I like to play music and shut the lid without it going into suspend. I have no idea how to go about it at the moment. The other problem is with the two card readers, apparently only working with SD cards, and secondly you have to have the sd cards inserted at boot or you can't access them or change them. Which is kind of annoying..

But other than that, I'm quite enjoying the experience after a bit of tweaking the interface to my preference. Wireless and 3G work flawlessly (aside from not having the blinking modem lights, which frankly I have no preference for one way or the other)

So well done, Ubuntu people, you're almost there. So close.

No comments: