Sunday, June 07, 2009

Pizza Pizza

So I noticed Pizza Pizza finally opened up a stand alone store in Winnipeg. They've had one in the St Vital Silver City theatre and in a hospital somewhere, but if you want the authentic deal, its best to go to the stand alone rather than the one jammed into a gas station or movie theatre to be honest. So I thought, hey, lets go to Pizza Pizza. Give it a try, see why its so popular in Ontario.

The location is in St. James on Portage Avenue. In what used to be the last KFC without a dining area in the city. It's a shame it closed, as I loved those old KFC's with the huge bucket signs. But hey, whatever.

I could not remember the phone number, so I looked it up online. But it was nowhere to be found. I thought maybe I had gotten a flyer or something and looked through my mail, but nada. I looked on the Pizza Pizza website, and they list nothing for Manitoba. No press releases or nothing. Yeesh. I knew I had recently had new phone books delivered so I opened up the Yellow Pages.. Nope, not in there either. So in the end I had to go there and order.

They were pretty busy. I tried a regular crust with peperoni. The peperoni is pretty good. they cook it on top of the cheese which is the way Dominos does it and is the way I like my peperoni cooked. The crust was pretty meh, but they do offer other options apparently, such as gluten free or thin crust, I may try the thin crust if I go back. The sauce was kindof blah. Like canned tomatoes. Not very rich at all, but edible. Again, they do offer other sauces, so I may try to switch things up next time and see if that improves things.

Of course, I wrote down the number for future reference, and its 204-957-1111, which I decided to punch into Google, and voila Pizza Pizza shows up. Ridiculous. If you search for Pizza Pizza winnipeg phone number, you get nothing. Google can't handle alliteration or word repitition apparently apparently.

The interior design of the place was nice, theres a couple tables and chairs if you want to eat while you're there. Though its not really a place for dining in and if its busy you're out of luck. It looks decent in there, they don't have a garbage can in their lobby anywhere which is a strange thing. They have pretty new-style point of sale cash register tills with LCD displays that show your order as they punch it in, which is nice as they can't make mistakes without you knowing it right away.

So would I eat at Pizza Pizza again? Yeah. Fortunately they offer choice in sauce and crust which is the area I was least impressed in the Pizza I tried. It was edible, but it seemed to be more the type of food a drunk or stoned person might crave. Which might explain why they advertise so much for the Toronto Maple Laffs. The nice thing is its cheap, especially for pick up. A Medium pizza is like $7. A small 10 inch is like $5 for pick up. Comparable to Little Ceasars occasional $5 pizza pick up special, though those are always cold when I go there so.. I don't. So heck, you don't really even need coupons. Though Winnipegers love coupons. They'd rather go to an expensive restaurant with a coupon than somewhere cheap without the coupon if they think they're getting a better deal.

Pizza Pizza has a lot of competition in that area, not least of which is Atlantic Pizza directly across the street. Theres also a Santa Lucia nearby and everyone knows Santa Lucia is a superior product so I doubt they're going to be in too much trouble from them. Theres also a 222-2222 pizza hotline not too far away, but who cares about them. It'll be interesting to see once Pizza Pizza has more of a presence in Winnipeg. It sure took them a while to expand here.

No comments: