Friday, November 11, 2011

Oh give me a home where the Byfugliens roam

... And the Jets and the Avalanche play. ( Yes I know they don't play Colorado until December.. Avalanche is the only word that sounds close to Antelope )

I'll bet Dustin Byfuglien racks up a lot of roaming charges on his cell phone.  I wonder if he cares.  Perhaps he has a plan with unlimited roaming throughout north America.  You certainly don't want your considerable salary going towards wasted roaming fees. 

On the ice Byfuglien wanders perhaps a bit too much.  It wouldn't be a huge problem if it helped the Jets win, but right now it's actually hurting them.  Especially with Enstrom injured.  Too many turnovers.  I'm not keeping track but I know the Jets have been scored on at least twice with shorthanded goals while they were on the power play. 

I like Byfuglien..  He's an entertaining player and his playing style is reflective of his personality.  But at the same time, roaming TOO MUCH can seem like a lack of faith in your teammates .. justified or not, he needs to know when to reign himself in.  Maybe he's the type of guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, but in a team game, you have to play your position. 

I mean think about it like this, If the power ranger in charge of the left arm decided nah, I'm going to be in charge of the right foot,  then the show would be over in a few episodes.

Now Coach Claude Noel has said he doesn't have a huge problem with the way Byfuglien is playing his game, that it's a high risk play and sometimes it pays off.  Well, picking the Jets on Pro Line/Sport Select is also high risk that sometimes pays off.   But it doesn't pay off that often.

I am a bit concerned over reports that there were boos for the Jets last night at the MTS Centre.  I mean, you can boo the refs and you can boo the opposing team but don't boo your own side.  Don't be Toronto or Phoenix.  I didn't catch the game.  I listened to the first period streaming on my cell phone and saw where it was going, and decided my battery was too low and the outcome too likely against the Jets to keep listening. 

Besides, nobody is really expecting them to win the Stanley Cup this year.  One more quality first round draft pick though, and another year or two and we'll have a great team.  These things don''t get built overnight.  

I wonder if the problem is we once had a team with Teemu Selanne, Keith Tkachuk, Nicholai Khabibulin, Teppo Numminen, and Shane Doan as a rookie and still think we should have that team.  Man if that team had stayed together and never left.. ah well.  Gotta live in the here and now.. win or lose.

I forget where I was going with this post.  I think I just had a clever title and went from there.  Anyways happy remembrance day.

1 comment:

cherenkov said...

I don't think the fans were booing at the team. I think they were still booing at the refs from the previous bad penalty call.